Why not use a binder variable?

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM
I'm curious why a binder variable like !(bind.FileVersion.FileId) wouldn't work? The advantage of binder variables is:

1.  they are built in (no extension necessary)

2.  they access the files during the bind process, which means your files don't have to exist when compiling.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:46 PM
Cool - I didn't know you could do that. 

I had done a lot of research on how to get the version and all I found were things like using environment variables or having a batch process to replace the version in your script before building. 

It seems that WiX has a bit to go on documentation because this stuff is really hard to find.
Mar 27, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Well, this use of binder variables is a relatively new feature that hasn't made it's way into the documentation well. I guess we really need a How-To topic dedicated to build version and the multitude of ways to come up with one. Then this would be far more discoverable.
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Also, when using WIX Burn bootstrapper, the file does not have an id to refer to. That's why I started using this extension.

May 28, 2015 at 8:22 AM
thanks to this extenson i found nice article
May 24 at 8:41 PM
I know this is so old but I just came across it and I just found the solution (in my case)
You have to add a reference to the corresponding project.
The same if you use a boos trapper, you have to add a reference to the actual Installer project or you'll get these preprocessor exceptions.